The University of Illinois recognizes the highest achieving undergraduates as James Scholars. The James Scholars in the College of Applied Health Sciences are challenged to enrich their scholarly activity through
- Direct faculty interaction
- Global and community engagement
By embracing these activities, an AHS James Scholar will be challenged to impact the future.
Overview of the new AHS James Scholar Honors Program
To build on the work done on by James Scholars in the past, the changes to the College of AHS James Scholar Honors Program will strengthen the program and increase the opportunities for community building within the James Scholar community. All new items are highlighted in orange. Specific information about the options can be found on the Requirements page.
- Complete a minimum of 12 graded credit hours each fall and spring semester
- Complete an Honors Plan every fall and spring
New options for completing an honors project:
- CHP (Campus’s Honors Program) course
- James Scholar course/section
- Regular course with honors project
- Undergraduate research
- Presenting research at a campus symposium or regional/national professional event
- Community and Global Engagement
- Study abroad
- Completion of an I-Program through the Illinois Leadership Center
- Attending The Institute™ by Leadershape® through the Illinois Leadership Center (only in spring semesters)
- Community volunteering as a group
- Sept. 16, 2020: Volunteering at Salt & Light in Urbana
- Spring 2021: Volunteering at the Special Olympics Regional Swimming Competition at the ARC.
These types of events, and more, are planned for the upcoming semesters.
- Mentorship program
JSAB (James Scholar Advisory Board) will be offering a Mentorship Program with current James Scholars mentoring new freshmen in the program. These mentors are assigned a handful of interested freshmen and will remain as resources throughout the year.
- More social events
JSAB (James Scholar Advisory Board) is excited to provide more opportunities for James Scholars to come together to having fun and get to know each other. You will be hearing from JSAB throughout the semester.