Community Health Ph.D.
The Community Health Ph.D. prepares students for academic and research careers that will enable them to find solutions to the health-related problems facing our society today and into the future.
The Community Health Ph.D. at Illinois offers students the opportunity to focus their studies in six major areas of concentration, allowing them to do work that is important to them. This program trains future community health researchers and practitioners as they address some of our greatest challenges.
Community Health PhD-MD
This is a seven-year program in cooperation with the Medical Scholars Program. Contact Julie Jenkins or Dr. Steven Petruzzello (contact information below) for more information.
Areas of Concentration
Health Services Research
- Approved Master’s Degree
- 3.50 GPA
- Official results of the aptitude portions of the Graduate Record Examination with a score of 152 on both verbal and quantitative. Scores cannot be more than 5 years old.
- 3 Letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Official Transcripts
- On the TOEFL part: International students must also submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores, with a minimum for full status admission: greater than 102 (IBT), greater than 253 (CBT), greater than 610 (PBT), or greater than 7.0 (IELTS). Scores cannot be more than 2 years old.
- Students for whom English is not their native language and who wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship must achieve a score on the speaking sub-section of 24 (IBT) or 8 (IELTS)
Students may apply to either the M.S. or the Ph.D. program. Applications for Fall admission are due on January 15. Applications for Spring semester are due on October 1.
For more information about degree requirements talk to your advisor or review the academic catalog.
Advanced Research Methods/Statistics
CHLH 565 Teaching in the Professorate
CHLH 591 Seminar
Additional Research Methods/Statistics
CHLH 599 Thesis Research
Total Hours: 64
Other Requirements (may overlap)
- Final exam/dissertation defense
- Dissertation deposit
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
English Proficiency Test: TOEFL
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum for Limited Status Admission with English as a Second Language Placement Test Required*||Minimum for Full Status Admission**|
|TOEFL iBT||79-102||greater than 102|
|TOEFL CBT||213-253||greater than 253|
|TOEFL PBT||550-610||greater than 610|
|IELTS (academic exam)||6.5-7.0||greater than 7.0|
If students want to be considered for a teaching assistantship, they must have at least 24 on the speaking part of the TOEFL.
If you are an international student, information about a VISA can be found here.
Follow the link below to follow begin your application.