Master of Science in Community Health
Areas of Research
|Areas of Research||Examples of study topics|
|Health Promotion and Behavioral Intervention||Health behavior, physical activity, nutrition, physical and mental health, perinatal woman health, healthy aging|
|Health Disparity||Global health, immigrant health, minority health, rural communities|
|Health Technology from Design to Implementation||Human factors, technology use in diverse populations and in the context of daily life, implications of technology use for health across the life span|
|Rehabilitation, Disability and Chronic Illness||Wellness, quality of life, psychosocial adjustment, transition, and social participation|
|Applied Health Data Analytics||Analysis of electronic health records (EHR), operational data, spatially and temporally organized data, dyadic data, etc.|
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- A minimum grade-point average of 3.0 (A=4.0) for the last 60 hours of undergraduate work and any graduate work completed
- Official results of the aptitude portions of the Graduate Record Examination with a score of 152 on both verbal and quantitative. Scores cannot be more than 5 years old.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Official Transcripts
- On the TOEFL part: International students must also submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores, with a minimum for full status admission: greater than 102 (IBT), greater than 253 (CBT), greater than 610 (PBT), or greater than 7.0 (IELTS). Scores cannot be more than 2 years old.
- Students for whom English is not their native language and who wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship must achieve a score on the speaking sub-section of 24 (IBT) or 8 (IELTS)
Students may apply to either the M.S. or the Ph.D. program. Applications for Fall admission are due on January 15. Applications for Spring semester are due on October 1.
CHLH 429 Research Techniques
CHLH 540 Health Behavior: Theory
Choose from one of the following:
• CHLH 421 Health Data analysis
• CHLH 576 Analytical Epidemiology
• CHLH 578 Applied Epidemiology
• CHLH 582 Advanced Biostatistics
Electives (chosen in consultation with student's advisor)
• CHLH 591 Seminar (min/max applied toward degree)
• CHLH 599 Thesis Research (min/max applied toward degree)
Total Hours: 32
Minimum Hours Required Within the Unit: 20
Minimum 500-level Hours Required Overall: 12 (8 within the unit)
Total required hours: 32
Minimum GPA: 3.0
English Proficiency Test: TOEFL
|English Proficiency Test||Minimum for Limited Status Admission with English as a Second Language Placement Test Required*||Minimum for Full Status Admission**|
|TOEFL iBT||79-102||greater than 102|
|TOEFL CBT||213-253||greater than 253|
|TOEFL PBT||550-610||greater than 610|
|IELTS (academic exam)||6.5-7.0||greater than 7.0|
If students want to be considered for a teaching assistantship, they must have at least 24 on the speaking part of the TOEFL.
If you are an international student, information about a VISA can be found here.
Follow the link below to follow begin your application.