front entrance of Huff Hall

Undergraduate Affairs


Current AHS students wishing to pursue a degree in another program should first meet with their advisor to discuss the process. The student will work with their advisor to ensure they have mapped out the plan thoroughly. Students should note that the college where they intend to pursue the other major may require a more detailed petition process. Students who are not AHS students who do not come with an intent request form from their college should use the AHS dual degree request form as well. Attached to these forms should be a detailed outline of the student's academic plan to complete both degrees. Approval of dual degree status is dependent on the feasibility of the student to successfully complete both programs in ten (10) semesters. Please note that Applied Health Sciences students cannot pursue a double major within the College of Applied Health Sciences.

Students seeking dual degree candidacy must complete the full application process, including securing appropriate advising and being approved at the departmental and college levels according to the required schedule. Part of the planning process involves meeting with the advisors in each of the proposed majors to determine appropriate class choices and to assess whether a dual degree is the best way for the student to achieve their educational goals.

You must clearly show how the coursework for the second degree will be integrated with the coursework for your first degree. The planning form must also indicate the college of enrollment for each semester. Students are required to reside in AHS a minimum of one academic year (two semesters) in order to receive an AHS degree. A fillable PDF sheet to plan out your classes can be found here.

**Information you need to obtain BEFORE filling out this form:**

  1. Identify your current degree program if you intend to continue in that degree.
  2. Identify the additional degree you wish to pursue.
  3. Identify the primary academic advisor for each degree.
  4. Identify all remaining semesters until graduation with both degrees (e.g., Fall 2021, Spring 2022; Summer semesters if included in the plan).
  5. For each semester, indicate your college of enrollment/primary residency (e.g., AHS, FAA, LAS, Social Work). Note: Students are typically required to reside in each college a minimum of one academic year (two semesters - fall/spring).
  6. For each semester, list all courses you plan on taking. Include the credit hours for each in parentheses (e.g., CHLH 243 (2); CHLH 304 (3); IS 101 (3); MUS 240 (1)).
  7. Include the total number of hours at the bottom of each semester. It is recommended to also include the total number of hours remaining for the dual degrees following that semester (e.g., 17 hr. (53 hr. remaining)).
  8. Make sure your plan accounts for all remaining requirements for both degrees including 30 additional hours of courses.
  9. Required signatures are needed. You need to know **the name and NETID** of the primary academic advisor for each degree. The Dean/Director of the colleges must also provide their approval signature for both degrees. Your academic advisors should know who provides those approvals.

For direct questions or concerns about the dual degree process, please contact your primary academic advisor(s)

AHS Dual Degree Request Form